Do you find yourself longing to be more…Confident? Successful? Focused? Attractive? Comfortable in your own skin? Financially disciplined? Happy in your relationships?
Seriously, how many times have you wished you’d wake up one day as an unstoppable version of YOU?
If you’re like I was, you probably can’t even count.
Today, my life is more satisfying and fulfilling than ever. I am healthier physically, mentally, emotionally, and financially than I’ve ever been before! But at my lowest point, I was 70+ pounds overweight. I was struggling to perform a job that I despised. I was lying to those I loved – but even worse I was lying to myself – about my sexuality. Even though I was a Christian pastor, married to a beautiful woman, and we had two beautiful kids together, something wasn’t right; I longed to be with a man, and frankly, to just be myself, and to no longer have this big ugly secret and the shame that came with it. I was tired of living to please everyone but myself.
The moment everything changed was in 2011 when my mother was very sick and she was hospitalized. I went to see her and she began apologizing for several things we had already dealt with in the past. What I began to realize was that she felt like she was at the end of her life, and she had so many regrets for the way she had lived it, and there was nothing at all she could do about it. That experience helped me to realize that I wasn’t okay with being 60 or 70 years old, and end up on my death bed looking back over my life with a long list of regrets.
I decided to start taking better care of myself and living a more healthy, positive, fulfilling life. Since 2011, I’ve lost over 50 pounds, I’ve peacefully ended my heterosexual marriage, and have come out as a proud gay dad who finally loves myself. I have a fulfilling career that excites and challenges me, and frankly, I’m better off financially today than at any other point in my life!
Somewhere along the way I started believing I deserve all the good life has to offer. And gradually, but progressively, my life has continued to get better and better. Every experience – the good and the bad – is an opportunity to learn and grow. It’s time for you to go from fear to confidence; from anxiety to peace; and from inaction to success.
But how? Today I am going to share with you 3 bold steps you can begin taking right now – today – to begin seeing the growth you crave in life.
#1 Begin making your needs a priority
Life is demanding. How many nights do you go to bed thinking of all the things that you didn’t get done that day? It seems the list never ends. It’s like that song that intentionally get’s on our nerves…”This is the song that doesn’t end…yes it goes on and on my friend…some people started singing it, not knowing what it was…and they’ll continue singing it, forever, just because…this is the song that doesn’t end…” (I hear you singing that now…you’re welcome!)
One of the first things I do when I begin coaching a new client is help them remember the importance of taking care of their physical bodies. Why? Because there is no sense in teaching them the more superior ideas of living a positive, successful life if their bodies (and minds) are sleep-deprived, dehydrated, and stressed to the max.
A few steps you can take today to take care of yourself are:
- Sleep well. Your body needs a certain amount of sleep or else it becomes sleep deprived. Depending on your age, the number of hours will vary, but most adults need a minimum of 7.5 hours every night.
- Hydrate your body. Study after study shows the HUGE benefits of simply drinking enough water, and the major negative impact it has on you mentally and physically if you don’t. The amount you need will vary depending on your activity level, height/weight, age, etc. but a good place to start is 100 oz. daily.
- Nourish your body by fueling it well, too. I often recite to myself “food is fuel, not fun”. Do a Google search for “super foods” and pick a few that you love. Then buy them and eat them! Try to eat more fresh, colorful foods that are naturally grown, and less food that was made 2 months ago in a darkly-lit plant, by a machine. You get the idea.
- Exercise today. I know you’re busy, but we make time for what is important to us. Everyone get’s 24 hours in every day. On some days you may not be able to spend 2 hours at the gym, but you can take a 30 minute walk with your dog after work. The point is to do something active, every day.
#2 Start making time to do good again
In our busyness, sometimes we feel forced to prioritize in order to get ahead. And what tends to rise towards the top are those things that most quickly benefit us. Unfortunately that means that those selfless acts of good tend to fall to the bottom of the list, and eventually fall off the list all together. But the truth is, when you do good, you feel good. And when you bad, you feel bad.
Think back a year or two ago when you took a day or even just a few hours to volunteer, or to serve an elderly person in your life. Maybe you used to mentor a young person who was struggling. Whatever selfless activity it is that makes your heart come alive with passion…return to doing that this week. You’ll find that as you begin investing in the welfare of others, you reap invaluable rewards that can’t be measured.
#3 Invest in you
When the grass looks greener on the other side, stop staring, stop comparing, stop complaining, and start watering the grass you’re standing on. The reason you see that friend getting more fit on Facebook, or achieving record-breaking sales at work this year is because they are investing time, money, energy, and sweat into seeing results. And the vast majority of positive changes come about in someone’s life simply because one other person cares for them, believes in them, and motivates them. So I want to offer myself to you; to be that person that invests in you.
My passion is the privilege of personally investing in the lives of others. I’ve studied relationships and positive psychology for the last 15 years. During this time, many people have been drawn to me for my support. Eventually I decided to dedicate my life to helping others like myself overcome life’s struggles.
Some of my experience includes:
- 15 years experience coaching and mentoring
- Hundreds of hours speaking/teaching publicly
- Nationally Certified Life Coach through the Life Coach Training Institute
- Ordained minister, qualified to officiate the rite of matrimony in the State of Tennessee
- Certified to provide Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM)
- Certified disaster responder through Crisis Response International and FEMA to serve those facing crisis
Even though I’ve come this far in life, I still remember what it was like to be struggling in virtually every area of my life. And I certainly haven’t arrived; there are still areas of life I’m working to grow in, and there always will be. So, you can feel safe knowing I’m not going to judge you or shame you. I remember what life was like dealing with the judgement and even the public shaming of others.
If you’re ready to get results that change the direction of your life in real, meaningful ways, that you’ve been struggling to find on your own, let’s do it together! Click here now to schedule a free consultation…my gift to you!