As you know, the planets are swirling around at all times. What you may not think much about is that their movements affect us just as flares from the Sun, or even our position in relation to the Sun does. Mercury’s journey, though, seems to have more of an impact than the others. You see, Mercury rules communication, thinking clearly, and travel. Considering that one of the biggest relationship struggles is communication, no wonder we seem to notice “Mercury Retrograde” more!
For those who think I’m referring to a music festival, let me briefly explain. Because Mercury is the planet situated closest to the Sun, its orbit is much shorter than Earth’s. About three or four times a year, Mercury speeds past Earth, and that is when we experience a Mercury retrograde period.
The turbulence and chaos Mercury creates when it retrogrades can affect what we feel on Earth in our everyday lives.
It arrives on our calendar in ALL it’s mess. It always leaving us slightly shocked, but like any challenging experience (if we allow it) we walk away much better equipped to live out our dreams. As I often say, every experience – the good and the bad – is an opportunity to learn and grow.
Check out these dates below and put them in your calendar! (I highlight the dates ahead of time on my calendar in a BRIGHT pink so I can’t miss them.)
In 2017, Mercury will be retrograde from…
- April 9 – May 3, 2017
- August 12 – September 5, 2017
- December 3 – December 22, 2017
Important Note: We sometimes start to feel the effects of Mercury retrograde a few days early. It’s nice to give yourself a bit of leeway on either side of the prescribed dates! I actually experienced my first communication disruption from this phenomenon already this morning, even though it doesn’t technically start until Sunday.
6 Tips To THRIVING In Mercury Retrograde
- Don’t take things personally (as always). People often say offensive things they don’t mean around this time, because their thinking is clouded and their communication skills are on pause! If your significant other suddenly becomes the most insensitive person in the world, take a deep breath and give them the benefit of the doubt.
- Back up your phone! Back up your computer! Back up your back up!
- Don’t purchase big ticket items, because they will often have flaws or issues that you weren’t aware of! Of course, life doesn’t stop just because of wacky planetary movement, so if you absolutely have to get a new car, computer or iPhone, TRIPLE-check all the paperwork, and make sure you have a warranty!
- Avoid signing new contracts or making new agreements if at all possible, until after the retrograde period. If you can’t avoid it, be SURE to ask a TON of questions. Again, you can’t put your life on hold just because of some silly planet, but adapt your lifestyle a bit so that things run more smoothly. Communication can be a mess right now, but do your best to get as much information as you can. I once accepted a position with a new company at the beginning of Mercury retrograde, and a month later it became the FIRST and only job I’ve ever been fired from.
- Double-check any information you’re given, especially as relates to travel arrangements! This morning, I had a semi-truck try to deliver 5 pallets of product to my tiny office downtown instead of at the warehouse. Double-check times, delays, baggage allowances, addresses, reservations…everything!
- Know this will be good for you. If you can tilt your head just right, and maybe squint your eyes a little, you’ll see the advantages this event brings with it.
- Perhaps you have been working on a project that seems to have gone down the wrong path. When Mercury retrogrades, it could become evident that the project needs to be altered slightly or redirected. Even if you did not get your way originally, if you argue your case persuasively, things might go your way now.
- You stall on accepting a job offer, and lo and behold, a better one comes your way in the meantime.
- You refrain from buying a certain big-ticket item, and within a few weeks, the coveted item goes on sale and you will be glad you waited.
- If a meeting is postponed or cancelled, you have more time to gather additional information that probably will come in quite handy.
One of the best ways to cope with Mercury Retrograde — as with anything, really — is to just accept what is and “go with the flow”. You don’t have to accept challenges you face, life is WAY easier if you do. When you fight Mercury retrograde, that’s when life gets really ugly. Just take some time, go slowly, be careful, don’t freak yourself out by expecting everything to be perfect right now. Be good to yourself and the people around you, now more than ever!
Fingers crossed for the next few weeks, and best of luck to you!
Light, love, and growth my friends!